Thursday, September 19, 2013

Kitchen Spells...Homemade Chili with Red and Black Beans, Served with A Spiced Cornbread Loaf

Hello Friends!!! It is that time again...are you ready for another "Kitchen Spell?"

Well....I do not know about you, but when the season begins to change to Autumn, I get excited for hearty meals.  With that being said, I thought I would share my easy recipe for Chilli and Cornbread with you.

~Homemade Chili with Red and Black Beans, Served with A Spiced Cornbread Loaf~
A Kitchen Spell by Dena K, Miller

Chili Ingredients as follows:

3lbs of ground lean meat
1 large can of Red Beans
1 large can of Black Beans
1 large can of Crushed or diced Tomatoes
1 small can of Tomato Paste
Approx. 2 cups of water
2 Tbs Olive Oil
3 Bay Leaves
Course Salt
Cracked Pepper
4 Tbs of Mexican Chili Powder
3 tsp of Hot Sauce
Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Cornbread Ingredients as follows:
1 Box of Jiffy Cornbread Mix
3 tsp of cinnamon
1tsp of nutmeg
Butter

How to:

Begin by browning ground meat, when done, drain any fat and discard, then set aside.

Now assemble ingredients for sauce in a large dutch oven or sauce pan.
Add all ingredients except for the shredded cheese.  Let this concoction heat through for a while until hot and bubbly.
Next, add your ground meat to this mixture, turn down the heat to low and let cook for about 30 minutes.

While this is cooking, prepare your cornbread mix according to box directions.

Do add however, 1 tsp of cinnamon to the batter and save the remaining tsps. to sprinkle one on the bottom of baking pan and the other on top.
Mix the remaining tsp of cinnamon with 1 tsp of nutmeg and set aside for top of loaf.

You will notice that I use soy milk instead of regular milk for this batter...you can use what you like or what you have.
Now, If you like, line a small baking loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.  I adore using parchment paper because it not only makes clean up a breeze, it allows you to lift out your loaf easily.
If you have not tried using parchment, I encourage you to try it!  I think you will love it too♥  This particular time, however, I did not use my parchment paper because I chose to use a disposable loaf pan. Although, most of the time I do use it for the reasons mentioned above.
Finally, sprinkle a tsp of cinnamon at the bottom of the loaf pan,  Fill with batter and then finish with a sprinkling of the cinnamon/nutmeg mixture.

Bake as directed.


When the Cornbread loaf is done baking, your Chili should also be done.  Place into a lovely Bowl, sprinkle with Shredded Cheddar Cheese and serve with a slice of warm buttered Spiced Cornbread.

Oh so Yummy and Hearty...I hope you give this "Kitchen Spell" a try and/or come up with your own variation to concoct.  I would love to hear about it!!!

Much Love,
♥♥♥
Milady Leela










2 comments:

  1. Hi Dena!!
    This looks so yummy!!! The other night I made Avi some stuffed peppers! I stuffed them with Turkey meat, onions, & Pepperjack cheese... OMG they were sooooo YUMMY!!!! Don't you just love a good hearty autumn meal?
    I'm sure Jimi loves having you around, your food looks so good! :-D
    Have a magical day!
    Justina
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Justina...it was truly yummy!!! Jimi does love my cooking too!!
    Sounds like what you made for Avi was amazing! I hope to see some photo's or a recipe? You know I believe that all of your Kitchen magic looks so good also♥
    Love you bunches,
    Dena

    ReplyDelete